About the Institute
The Institute is the College’s home for volunteerism, service-learning, scholarship and research, and community partnerships. The Institute establishes community alliances and serves as a convener in unifying the city around local and regional problems. The Institute has joined forces with the City of Philadelphia; the School District of Philadelphia; and a host of community, civic and faith-based organizations and community members to solve issues affecting our neighborhoods and larger community.
The Institute for Community Engagement and Civic Leadership connects students, faculty, staff and administrators to on-campus volunteer opportunities along with civic engagement opportunities in the city. Students serve as a catalyst in fostering and advancing an institutional “culture of return” by positively impacting and influencing the larger communities in which they live, learn, work and serve. Students are our most valuable resource as they are the link back to our city’s communities.
The Institute also provides resources for faculty to incorporate service-learning into their curriculum and support with producing scholarship and research.
College-wide volunteer events and service days hosted by the Institute provides meaningful opportunities for the College community to give back and experience personal fulfillment, positively impacting the various diverse communities within the city.
Our vision is that the College's institutional profile and reputation be elevated to the status of one recognized for excellence, and embraced by the community and beyond for having a positive impact on social issues at local, regional and national levels.
The Mission of the Institute for Community Engagement and Civic Leadership is to foster a culture of engagement and collaboration that promotes experiential learning and capitalizes on the strengths of students, faculty, staff and partners to make a positive difference on social justice issues.
The institute has facilitated over 1,100 hours served in 2021 alone. Read more statistics about the College’s commitment to volunteerism in the 2021 President’s Report.
Signature Initiatives & Programs
Advisory Council Partners
The Institute for Community Engagement and Civic Leadership welcomes partners, affiliates and friends to join us on our mission! We develop alliances that are mutually beneficial for both the College and our City to make a positive impact on social justice issues. Interested in getting involved? Contact: email@example.com to find out more.
- Sankofa Farm at Bartram’s Garden
- City of Philadelphia, Office of Homeless Services
- City of Philadelphia, Office of Human Services
- Dornsife Center for Neighborhood Partnerships
- Goodwill Industries of New Jersey and Philadelphia
- The Field Center at University of Pennsylvania
- HOPE Center at Temple University
- Intergenerational Center at Temple University
- Mentoring Partnership & Resource Center
- Michael O'Bryan, Project Coordinator/Sanctuary Facilitator at Contractor for The US Attorney's Office, Eastern PA
- Philadelphia FIGHT
- Philadelphia Higher Education Network for Neighborhood Development
- Philadelphia Youth Network
- Read by 4th
- The School District of Philadelphia
- South Philadelphia Prevention Coalition
- Brandon Stokes, Student/Social Entrepreneur
- Turning Points for Children
- Welcoming Center for New Pennsylvanians
Office Location: The Mint Building, M2-34