Human Services Academic Certificate

Our Human Services academic certificate program will prepare you to work in the behavioral health and human service fields. You will learn how to demonstrate a basic set of helping skills (warmth, empathy, reflective listening) needed for entry-level employment in human service agencies, work as a culturally sensitive ethical practitioner, demonstrate a stronger sense of self resulting from personal growth experiences, and use critical thinking and writing skills needed for working with clients. You will also do one practicum, which may be completed at your place of employment. Along with the core helping skills, you will be introduced to job-specific helping courses in fields of practice such as addictions, disabilities, gerontology or youth work.


Find your path.

Child, Family, and School Social Workers – est. salary $44,793*
Community Health Worker
– est. salary $40,231
Eligibility Interviewers, Government Programs– est. salary $50,284
Receptionist and Information Clerk – est. salary $28,934

**EMSI Data, 2019; Philadelphia County, PA; a percentage of people in these jobs may have a bachelor's degree or higher.

Courses and Completion Sequence

The following courses and sequence of courses is designed for the optimal success and completion of the Human Services Academic Certificate degree/certificate. Any alterations should be discussed with your academic advisor.

Semester 2

Course Number and Name Credits Prerequisites and Corequisites Course Type
BHHS 194 - Case Management Practice credits Prerequisite: BHHS 111 with a grade of "C" or better  
BHHS 195 - Practicum in Behavioral Health/Human Services I credits Prerequisite: BHHS 111 with a grade of "C" or better  
ENGL 102 - The Research Paper credits Prerequisite:ENGL 101 with a grade of "C" or better  
BHHS 151 - Family Violence, Abuse and Trauma or
BHHS 241 - Crisis Intervention
FNMT 118 - Intermediate Algebra (or higher) credits    

General Education Requirements:

All general education requirements necessary for graduation are met through the courses in the program as indicated above. Students who wish to take courses that differ from the general education courses indicated above must complete a course substitution request form. To access the form, login to the MyCCP portal, and in the Student tab, under Electronic Forms, click on the Records and Registration Forms link, then choose Request For Course Substitution Of Graduation Requirement link. A more detailed explanation of the College’s general education requirements is also available.

Featured Career

Program Information