The Veterinary Assistant program prepares learners for a new career in the field of veterinary medicine. Participants will learn about the care of animals, as well as how to recognize signs of illness and disease in a variety of animals from common pets to exotic species. This program also covers interpersonal communication, interaction with clients and their animals, and how to assist the veterinarian during examinations. Administrative duties, such as fee collection, banking and accounts payable are also emphasized to provide learners with the skills necessary to maintain an efficient front office. This veterinary assisting program is a vital asset to learners who wish to work in this exciting and rewarding field.
As more and more Americans are adopting pets, the pet population continues to increase at a steady pace. Employment of veterinary assistants and caretakers of laboratory animals is expected to grow 9-percent to 2030, faster than average for this occupation. The veterinary assistant can expect to obtain a position mainly in clinics, animal hospitals and research laboratories, but grooming facilities, pet daycare and boarding facilities are in need of individuals with these skills as well..
- Anytime learning, complete lessons and assignments on your schedule within 6 months
- Video lesson presentations to bring the content to life
- Assessments and activities to ensure you’re on track for success
- Define veterinary medical terms and abbreviations that apply to each body system including those for anatomy, physiology, diagnostic procedures and pathological conditions
- Identify common terms that denote sex, age, birthing, grouping and general descriptions of animals
- Define veterinary medical terms and abbreviations associated with examination, pharmacology, pathology, surgery, dissection and laboratory procedures
- Gain solid foundations of veterinary practice in terms of ethical, legal, safety, practice management and professional communication
- Explain the concepts associated with veterinary diagnostics and veterinary therapeutics, animal nursing care and husbandry for different animal species
Optional Volunteer Externship Opportunity
Learners who complete this program are eligible to participate and gain hands-on experience in an optional volunteer externship opportunity with a local company/agency/organization whose work aligns with this area of study. As learners progress through their eLearning program, an externship coordinator will reach out to coordinate placement.
Note: Additional documentation including health records, immunizations, drug screening, criminal background checks, etc., may be required by the externship facility.
Upon registering, you have six (6) months to complete the program.
Course Dates and Times
|Date and Times||Location||Course Cost/Fees|
Register to Start Today
This workshop is offered through our continuing education online partner.