Departmental Challenge Exam
There are many courses that you may challenge by taking a Departmental Challenge Exam. Below is a listing of Community College of Philadelphia courses that may be challenged through Departmental Challenge Exams.
Please note the following important information about Departmental Challenge Exams:
- Eligibility requirements are completion of course prerequisite with a C- or better
- You must be currently enrolled at the College
- Departmental Challenge Exams may only be taken once for each course
- Not all departments permit credit by exam
To request a Departmental Challenge Exam, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Transfer Credit and Placement Office on the Main Campus in the Mint Building, Ground Floor, Room MG-17.
- Notification of eligibility and exam information will be sent via email.
- Upon receiving approval to take the exam, a nonrefundable charge of $159 will be placed onto your account.
- This fee is applied for each course taken by Departmental Challenge Exam.
- Financial aid does not cover the cost of Departmental Challenge Exams.
- Payments may be made in person at the Bursar's Office on the Main Campus in BG-38, Bonnell Building, Ground Floor, Room 38, or online via MyCCP.
- For all payments made in person, you must inform the Bursar's Office that payments are to be applied to the Credit by Exam charge.
- Payments made online will be applied to outstanding charges before the Credit by Exam charge is satisfied.
- Photo ID will be required for testing.
If credit has been earned, it will appear on your academic record upon receipt of the completed Departmental Challenge Exam. No letter grade is awarded; all Departmental Challenge Exams receive grades of “pass” or “fail.” Code "CE" (Credit by Examination) will be recorded on your academic record upon passing the exam. Departmental Challenge Exams are not included in your grade point average (GPA). If you intend to transfer, contact your college of choice to confirm acceptance of CLEP.
Courses Eligible for a Departmental Challenge Exam
Course descriptions and prerequisite information may be found in the College Catalog.
|ASL 215||ASL Fingerspelling||3|
|ASL 231||Advanced American Sign Language I||3|
|CIS 103||Applied Computer Technology||3|
|FNMT 118||Intermediate Algebra||3|
|MATH 161||Precalculus I||3|
|MATH 162||Precalculus II||3|
|MATH 171||Calculus I||4|
|MATH 172||Calculus II||4|
|MATH 270||Linear Algebra||4|
|MUS 100||Music Reading||3|
|MUS 101||Piano I||1|
|MUS 102||Piano II||1|
|MUS 103||Introduction to Music||3|
|MUS 196||Ensemble I||1|
|MUS 197||Ensemble II||1|
|MUS 201||Piano III||1|