EKG technicians work in physician’s offices, hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare facilities and organizations. EKG technicians also work for insurance companies to provide data for health and life insurance policies. Similar to other growing healthcare professions, the demand for EKG technicians is expected to continue to grow substantially.
This program prepares students to perform EKGs, offering instruction in cardiac anatomy and physiology, medical disease processes, medical terminology, medical ethics, legal aspects of patient contact, electrocardiography, and stress testing. Learners will explore the technology used such as the EKG machine and how to interpret a rhythm strip. EKG Technicians also analyze printed readings of EKG tests, measuring various “cardiac intervals and complexes” and determining normal vs. abnormal EKG. Successful completion of this program will help prepare learners to perform the role of EKG technician.
After completing this program, learners will have the opportunity to take the leading national/industry-recognized certification exam(s) essential to entry-level employment in this fast-growing field.
National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified EKG Technician (CET)
- Apply the basic electrophysiologic principles of cardiac conduction to the anatomy and physiology of the body
- Identify proper placement of leads to ensure an accurate and consistent EKG reading
- Analyze a variety of EKG rhythm strips, identifying rate, rhythm, intervals, and common dysrhythmias
- Understand the technical aspects of the EKG machine to the correct use of the machine and interpretation of artifacts
- Describe diagnostic electrocardiography in terms of goals, types, procedures, indications, and contraindications
- Explain how to interpret a 12-lead EKG strip, and myocardial infarction in terms of physiology, symptoms
- Anytime learning, complete lessons and assignments on your schedule within 6 months
- Video lesson presentations to bring the content to life
- Assessments and activities to ensure you’re on track for success
Optional Volunteer Externship Opportunity
Learners who complete this program are eligible to participate in an optional volunteer externship opportunity with a local company/agency/organization whose work aligns with this area of study in order to gain valuable hands-on experience. As learners progress through their eLearning program, an externship coordinator will reach out to coordinate placement.
Note: Additional documentation including health records, immunizations, drug screening, criminal background checks, etc. may be required by the externship facility.
Upon registering, you have six (6) months to complete the program.
Course Dates and Times
|Date and Times||Location||Course Cost/Fees|
Register to Start Today!
This workshop is offered through our continuing education online partner.