Text A+ A- A

Steps to Applying for Financial Aid


Video Support

"How do I fill out the FAFSA?"

Watch these videos for help and support in filling out FAFSA

Understanding the FAFSA
Learn about first time FAFSA filing

Complete the FAFSA

You must apply for financial aid each academic year, and completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form is the first step. Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to get started. Apply for your Personal Identification Number (PIN). You will need a PIN to sign your FAFSA electronically or make corrections to your FAFSA. Your FAFSA application is used to apply for the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work Study, SEOG, Federal Direct Loans and the PHEAA State Grant. Use Community College of Philadelphia School Code 003249 when filing your FAFSA. In addition to completing the FAFSA, students applying for the Direct Loans must also complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and an entrance counseling session at www.studentloans.gov.

You are strongly encouraged to submit/renew you FAFSA in February/March after you have filed your tax return, and you must file before April 15 if you are planning to attend College in the fall semester. If you need assistance, please call 1-800-433-3243. Remember, the FAFSA application is always free.


Read Your Student Aid Report

Once you have completed the FAFSA application, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) via email. Review your Student Aid Report carefully and take appropriate steps.


Check Your MyCCP and College email Accounts

We will review your FAFSA application and post any outstanding requirements to your MyCCP account. Please provide the Office of Financial Aid the documents and forms requested as soon as possible so we may assist you in finalizing your application. You may download financial aid forms and worksheets online.

You must complete, print and sign the appropriate forms before submitting it to the Office of Financial Aid. You may also be required to provide copies of your (and if a dependent student, your parents') IRS tax return transcripts, W2s, citizenship papers and other documents. For instructions on checking your outstanding requirements in MyCCP, login and click on the "Check Your Overall Financial Aid Status" link.


Selective Service (Male Applicants Only)

Male applicants between the ages of 18 and 26 are required to register for selective service in order to qualify for financial aid. If your Student Aid Report indicates that you must register for selective service, you may do so online at https://www.sss.gov. You may also register at your local post office. High school students may do so in the guidance counselor's office, or you may call selective service directly at 847.688.6888. This process takes approximately two to four weeks, and you will receive written notification of your registration. You must submit this information to your financial aid administrator.